Special moments in an AP Computer Science course

(Ignore the underline.) The last two answers are valid. A wonderful shot in the dark.

duz prnt code 15.5555 dubl strng?

(All dialogues are more or less quoted directly, as memory serves me.)

Person: *looking at my code* Why did you use "scan" as the variable name? I use one-letter variable names, like "a".

Me: *thinking* people like you are the reason we use jquery for addition

Me: It's more readable that way...


Friend: Yo can you help me, my code isn't getting the right month.

Me: Sure. *turns to his code*

Me: W... why on earth did you use single-letter variable names??

Person: That's how I roll.

Me: *squints at code* Um, ask someone else, maybe?

Person: Gotcha.


Person A: *to person B* So you use new to create a pointer, like in C++ or C.

Me: Java doesn't have pointers.

Person A: Of course it does.

Me: Not really, no...

Person A: The new keyword in C++ makes a pointer, it's just like that—

Me: We could look at JavaScript, the new keyword doesn't make a new pointer there—

Person A: Why are you talking about JavaScript? That's not Java.

Me: Neither is C++.

Person A: I have seven years of programming experience, if you want to deny a verifiable fact, I won't stop you.

Me: I have five years of experience.

Person A: Stop talking. *turns to person B* Anyway. You need new to create a Scanner class...

Java doesn't really have pointers in the traditional sense. Rather, everything is an object. Java is object-oriented, after all.


Teacher: Class, lessons 12 to 14 are due tomorrow.

Person: Heh. I've finished like up to 27.

while loops in lesson 17... finally...


Being tired of writing long, verbose Java code, I wrote a small language that compiles to readable Java code. I call it "stoj", short for "short to Java". Observe:

Original program, in Java

import java.util.Scanner;

public class Lesson_12_Activity_Three {
    public static void main(String args[]) {
        Scanner scan = new Scanner(System.in);
        double a = scan.nextDouble();
        if(a < 0 || a > 100)
            System.out.print("Not ");
        System.out.print("Valid");
    }
}

"stoj" code

Lesson_12_Activity_Three
Id@a?:a C0CB{"Not "p}"Valid"p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PPCG.se - the past, quality, and now

Java programming is boring. So I made a monster.